After evaluating more than 230 entries, the judges made their picks in The Royal Cheese Competition, held in advance of The Royal Agricultural Winter Fair’s 10-day run from November 6 to 15, 2015 at Exhibition Place in Toronto.
This year’s competition featured dozens of cheese producers from across the country.
“The quality of the cheeses competing this year was outstanding,” says Peter Hohenadel, The Royal’s director of Agriculture and Food. “We saw a lot of passion, creativity and talent on the table in all categories.”
• Grand Champion: Parmalat Canada – Winchester, Mature Cheddar 12- 24 months
• Reserve Champion: Agropur Cooperative, Mature Cheddar 12- 14 months
• Grand Champion: Argopur Cooperative – Oka L’Artisan
• Reserve Champion: Fromagerie Alexis de portneuf – La Sauvagine
Goat and Sheep milk variety cheese:
• Grand Champion: Mariposa Dairy – Lenberg Farms Classic Reserve – Zoey
• Reserve champion: Fifth Town Artisan Cheese -Farmhouse Goat Gouda
Ontario Champion Cheddar, Sponsored by Dairy Farmers of Ontario:
• Parmalat Canada – Winchester
The competition included more than 180 kg of cheese of all varieties. Funding support for The Royal has been provided by the City of Toronto and the Government of Ontario.