Artisan Distillers Canada announces the 2019 results for the Canadian Artisan Spirit Competition
By food in Canada staffProducts Beverages
Canada’s only national spirit competition reserved exclusively for small distilleries has announced the results of the Canadian Artisan Spirit Competition (CASC).
The competition’s national panel of independent judges have completed their blind assessment of artisan spirits submitted by distillers across the country. Now in its second year, submissions have grown by 50 per cent over its first year.
CANADIAN ARTISAN SPIRIT OF THE YEAR
Monashee Spirits Craft Distillery Ethos Gin earned highest overall points across all categories. The gin is made in Revelstoke, B.C. from Triticale, and uses 15 botanicals including locally sourced huckleberries, juniper, spruce tips and ponderosa pine needles. Charlene Rooke, CASC’s lead judge, described the gin as having a “delicately floral (white blossoms, rose petal, orange blossom, note of elderflower) nose, tinged with light pink grapefruit. Juicy citrus, white pepper and a silky elegant mouthfeel.”
BEST IN CLASS
- Absinthe: Deep Roots Distillery Absinthe • PEI
- Aged Gin: Ironworks Distillery Aged Gin • N.S.
- Aged Spirit: The Liberty Distillery Railspur No. 3 Switch • B.C.
- Akvavit: Long Table Distillery Långbord Akvavit • B.C.
- Amaro or Vermouth: The Woods Spirit Co Pacific Northwest Amaro • B.C.
- Brandy or Eau de Vie: Winegarden Estate Winery & Distillery Johnny Ziegler Senior • N.B.
- Liqueur: Hansen Distillery Morning Glory Cream Liquor • Alta.
- Infused Vodka: Capital K Distillery Tall Grass Dill Pickle Vodka • Man.
- Rum: Barrelling Tide Distillery 5 Fathom Dark Rum • N.S.
- Vodka: Strathcona Spirits Distillery Single Grain Vodka • Alta.
- Whisky: Sheringham Distillery Red Fife Whisky • B.C.
- Young Whisky: de Vine Spirits Glen Saanich • B.C.
- White Spirit: Resurrection Spirits Inc. Resurrection Spirits White Rye • B.C.
Medals were awarded to distilleries from British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Ontario, Quebec, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island. Complete results: https://artisandistillers.ca/2019-results/
About the Canadian Artisan Spirit Competition
CASC was founded in 2017 to celebrate the best of Canadian artisan distilling. Distilleries must meet our qualifications: https://artisandistillers.ca/artisan-distillery/.
Artisan Distillers Canada, which operates CASC, is a new organization created to support and promote artisan distilleries across Canada.
For more information: https://artisandistillers.ca/
Print this page