Natural Products Canada supports 10 companies to conduct $2.8M in commercial development projects
By Food in Canada staffBusiness Operations Natural Products Canada
Natural Products Canada (NPC) announces the 10 most recent recipients of its Commercialization Programs, enabling $2.8 million in projects to complete key milestones needed for commercial success.
“We are so encouraged by the incredible potential of these Canadian companies,” said Shelley King, CEO, NPC. “They are tackling some of the most important issues of our time with truly ground-breaking, sustainable innovations.”
The diverse array of program recipients reflects NPC’s broad mandate to support Canadian innovation that uses biologically based solutions to improve the health of people, animals, and the planet. The 10 companies are developing a range of products that meet the growing global demand for sustainable solutions to food production and security, human and animal health, and eco-friendly manufacturing.
“Our government recognizes the importance of supporting innovation in the natural product ecosystem and the essential role it will play in our sustainable economy and our health. The solutions developed by Natural Products Canada’s Commercialization Programs’ recipients are bringing innovators together to share their knowledge and expertise, leading the way to new ideas and technologies that will benefit Canadians for years to come,” said François-Philippe Champagne, innovation, science and industry minister.
NPC’s Commercialization Programs are designed to address three critical areas that often prohibit start-ups from achieving commercial success. The Proof of Concept Program is focused on validating a natural product or technology through testing such as clinical or field trials. The Access to Talent Program helps recipients round out their research, development and commercialization teams. The Fast Track to Finance Program targets key data gaps in the commercialization strategy.
The Commercialization Programs recipients are:
- CanBiocin (Proof of Concept Program): Supporting animal wellness with species-specific probiotics;
- Chickapea (Fast Track to Financing): Protein-dense pasta made with only organic chickpeas and lentils;
- Folium (Fast Track to Financing): Delivery technology to enhance bioavailability, absorption, and targeted delivery of active ingredients;
- GrainFrac (Access to Talent): A unique and disruptive technology to enable sustainable, affordable, and superior plant-protein ingredients;
- Impactful Health R&D (Proof of Concept): Tackling the global food waste challenge using sustainable active packaging solutions;
- Lucky Iron Fish (Proof of Concept): Combatting iron deficiency through natural, cost-effective solutions;
- Näak (Access to Talent): A sports nutrition company focused on sustainable fuel for outdoor enthusiasts;
- Seed To Surf (Fast Track to Financing): Plant-based seafood that uses premium whole vegetables to recreate the seafood experience;
- Smallfood (Access to Talent): Unearthing the potential of microbial ingredients to develop sustainable proteins; and
- Zila Works Canada (Proof of Concept): A new industrial bio-plastic from hemp to help product manufacturers lower their carbon footprint.
Print this page