Feds continue to set sights on export markets
Ag Canada report shows more new markets, trade opportunities now open for food industry
Ottawa, Ont. – Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada has released a report detailing the new trade opportunities and expanded markets the Harper government has opened in the past two years to benefit the agriculture and agri-food industry.
Canada’s food industry now has expanded access to markets in Chinese Taipei, the EU, Mexico, Japan, South Korea and the U.S. New trade opportunities include markets in China, Indonesia, India and Russia.
“Opening and expanding agricultural markets around the world provides opportunities for our farmers to drive the Canadian economy, create jobs and set the stage for greater prosperity in the future,” says Agriculture Minister Gerry Ritz. “More exports mean more jobs for Canadians, more money for farmers, and long-term growth for Canada.”
The 2011-2012 Agriculture and Agri-Food Market Access Report, issued by Ritz and Minister of International Trade and Minister for the Asia-Pacific Gateway Ed Fast, outlines key achievements affecting Canada’s food industry. They include:
- Restoring access for Canadian beef under 30 months (UTM) of age to South Korea, estimated to reach $30 million in sales by 2015;
- Negotiating access to the Chinese market for Canadian UTM deboned beef, a market that could be worth up to $110 million;
- Negotiating an increase in the most-favoured-nation beef tariff rate quota for hormone-free beef in the U.S.;
- Lifting of restrictions on Canadian poultry to Japan, and animal by-products in Indonesia;
- Maintaining access for Canadian canola to China, a market worth $1.6 billion in 2011; and,
- Successfully challenging U.S. Country of Origin Labeling legislation at the World Trade Organization.
Canadian agriculture, agri-food and food product exports were worth approximately $40 billion in 2011, contributing more than $9.2 billion to our trade surplus.
To view the full report visit www4.agr.gc.ca/AAFC-AAC/display-afficher.do?id=1352240788033&lang=eng