March 26, 2020, Toronto, Ont. – A Restaurants Canada survey of foodservice businesses across the country has revealed many are considering closing down permanently in the wake of COVID-19.
Facing a new reality of little to no income without a clear end date in sight, more than 90 per cent of respondents said they are very worried about the next three months. Most said they need help from government.
“Our immediate priority is to maintain liquidity for foodservice businesses, who employ 1.2 million workers across the country,” Shanna Munro, Restaurants Canada president and CEO, said in a press release.
”We commend the necessary actions that various levels of government have taken to keep Canadians safe and are encouraged by measures announced so far to mitigate the disruptive economic impacts of COVID-19. Given the devastating losses that most restaurants have experienced and are anticipating, they urgently need more immediate support to continue serving their communities during this crisis and beyond.”
On behalf of the country’s more than 90,000 foodservice establishments, Restaurants Canada recommends strengthening relief in the following areas so that restaurants can survive the unprecedented challenges they’re facing:
“Every day we continue to hear incredible stories about how foodservice operators and our supply chain partners are supporting their communities through these extraordinary times,” added Munro. “We’re stronger together.”
Restaurants Canada is a national, not-for-profit association advancing the potential of Canada’s diverse and dynamic foodservice industry through member programs, research, advocacy, resources and events.
A Must Read for all food & beverages industry personnel
Canada’s national food & beverage processing authority
Serving the Canadian food & beverage processing industry for over 80 years!
FREE to qualified industry professionals