Government announces funding for several agri-food companies
Food in CanadaFood In Canada Business Operations Exporting & Importing Processing Bake & Snack Food Beverages Confectionery Health & Wellness Ingredients & Additives Specialty Foods agri-food Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada Funding government of Canada Growing Forward 2
Eleven agri-food companies in BC will receive funding from the federal government to help them grow their businesses in new markets
Vancouver – The government of Canada has announced that it’s helping out several agri-food businesses in BC.
In a statement, Agriculture and Agri-Food Canada says it is providing funding to the companies to help them “grow their businesses, and expand and access new markets at home and abroad.”
The aim, says the statement, is to achieve $75 billion in exports of agri-food products by 2025. In 2016, Canadian agriculture and food exports was more than $60 billion.
“Support from the federal and provincial governments has created value for our innovative sweetener company,” says Lily Zou, the CEO of NutraEx Food Inc., one of the companies benefiting from the funding.
“We improve the health of Canadians and drive growth for many indirect jobs across all income groups, improving resilience and productivity. With support from the AgriMarketing program, our company is poised to achieve significant scale as we export our high-quality food ingredients to the U.S. and beyond.”
Eleven small- and medium-size agri-food businesses will share the funding, which will help them develop branding tools, attend trade shows and missions, and acquire global customers.
The government is providing the funding through its Growing Forward 2’s AgriMarketing program, a five-year, $341-million initiative to help the agriculture industry create and maintain access to markets and take advantage of market opportunities.
The companies, as listed in the statement, are:
- Amra Services Ltd. (part of a company that makes gluten-free products)
- Big Mountain Foods (a company that makes meat alternatives)
- HOOH Organic Hop Company Ltd.
- Naturally Homegrown Foods Ltd. (maker of Hardbite potato chips)
- Nonna Pia’s Gourmet Sauces Ltd.
- Nutra Ex Food Inc. (maker of natural sweeteners)
- Organika Health Products Inc. (maker of natural health products)
- Pacific Fermentation Ind. Inc. (maker of baker’s yeast)
- Tropical Link Canada Ltd. (maker of natural and organic food and beverages)
- Tugwell Creek Honey Farm and Meadery Inc.
- Unsworth Vineyards Ltd.
Print this page