Importance of using quality, traditional, authentic ingredients.
A & M Process Equipment Ltd.Sponsored Content
There will always be times of celebration and moments of entertaining. Throughout the year, why not treat your guests to some authentic Italian party bites that each showcase a unique heritage and plenty of flavour?
Authentic, full-bodied ingredients, like Prosciutto di San Daniele PDO, Grana Padano PDO and Prosciutto di Parma PDO, have set the standard of culinary excellence for generations and will hopefully bring that standard of excellence to your next gathering.
The producers of these products are the focus of an exciting campaign that seeks to raise awareness about traditional, authentic foods among Canadian consumers. Each of these certified Protected Designation of Origin products emphasize the importance of quality and authenticity. They are made according to traditional methods and techniques from specific European geographic regions. For these recipes and more, visit: www.iconsofeuropeantaste.eu.
Prosciutto di Parma Ricotta Toast with Caramelized Apple Bruschetta, Honeycomb and Fried Sage
This festive appetizer perfectly balances salty prosciutto with a creamy ricotta and sweet honeycomb and apples, making it the perfect snack for hungry guests.
- Caramelize 1 pound of apples in a saucepan with ½ a cup of apple cider
- 2 ounces of honey
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme
- Remove the thyme sprigs
- Season with a pinch of salt to taste
- Perfect your bread in a large sauté pan over medium-low heat with enough olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan and 4 sprigs of fresh sage
- Toast the bread in the oil for about a minute or two on each side, or until golden brown
- Once the bread is toasted, use a spoon to spread a generous amount of ricotta cheese onto each slice (about 2 ounces each)
- Sprinkle on a pinch of sea salt and a few cracks of black pepper
- Add a slice of Prosciutto di Parma on top of the ricotta on each slice of bread
- Cut the honeycomb, and drizzle some of the honey on top
- Top each toast with a spoonful of the caramelized apples and a pinch of the fried sage leaves
Grana Padano Custard Canapés
Make this ingenious, savoury custard canapé recipe ahead of time. This flavoured party dish comes packed with punchy Grana Padano cheese and crispy bacon, chives and peas.
- Boil 200 mL of milk with 50g of Grana Padano rinds and strain when cool
- Add 200mL of double cream to a saucepan with the strained milk and 50g of grated Grana Padano
- Whisk in 5 egg yolks, season with salt and pepper, strain and chill in the fridge
- With your oven at 100°C, decant the mixture into 8 small, buttered, ramekins in a deep baking tray, filled with warm water that should cover ¾ of the ramekins. Cook for about an hour.
- Remove the custards and cool while cooking 4 strips of bacon.
- Serve with finely chopped bacon, 80g of cooked peas, 10g of chopped chives ½ of a lemon, zested and 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil.
Prosciutto di San Daniele fruit “Sushi”
This sweet and savoury snack is the perfect compliment to any party platter.
- Arrange two slices of Prosciutto di San Daniele side by side, overlapping by a 1/2 inch to make a rectangle
- Cut ½ of an avocado and ½ of a mango into matchsticks (about 4 inches long)
- Place a few pieces of avocado, mango and chopped chives into mounds, crosswise, at one end of the Prosciutto di San Daniele rectangle and roll up tightly
- Cut the roll into 4 pieces
- Repeat with the remaining 8 total slices of prosciutto, ½ avocado, ½ mango and 12 chives.
Look for the Prosciutto di San Daniele PDO, Grana Padano PDO and Prosciutto di Parma PDO logos in stores to ensure the purchase of authentic and quality Italian products.
To find more information and recipe ideas with these products, visit www.iconsofeuropeantaste.eu
Print this page