Ferrero sets new commitment for sustainable packing
Ferrero Group released its Corporate Social Responsibility Report, which announced a new commitment to make all packaging 100 per cent reusable, recyclable or compostable by 2025.
Ferrero has signed the Ellen MacArthur Foundation’s New Plastics Economy Global Commitment and is sharing the Foundation’s vision of a circular economy for plastic. In signing the New Plastics Economy Global Commitment, Ferrero wants to play an active role and commits to eliminating problematic or unnecessary plastic packaging through redesign, innovation, and new delivery models.
Ferrero will engage its entire group, suppliers and partners. Investments in R&D and Open Innovation, as well as working in partnerships, will drive the Ferrero strategy to eliminate unnecessary plastic packaging without compromising the quality and freshness of its products.
In line with its global commitment, Ferrero will implement the following initiatives as part of a roadmap towards 2025:
- R&D and Open Innovation
- Eliminate unnecessary plastic packaging
- Maximize use of recycled materials where this is safe for our consumers
- Explore projects to test new compostable packaging materials for targeted applications, with a focus on marine compostable solutions
To boost local plant waste recycling initiatives Ferrero is collaborating with several actors, such as recyclers, national waste management systems, non-food companies to:
- Explore applications for difficult to recycle packaging structures
- Identify projects to use plant packaging waste to ensure circularity at the lowest environmental impact
- Global and Local Activations