CPMA announces John Anderson as the recipient of the 2021 Lifetime Achievement Award
Food in Canada StaffFood In Canada Fruit & Vegetables CPMA fresh week
John Anderson, Chairman, CEO, and Managing Partner of The Oppenheimer Group (OPPY) has been named the recipient of the 2021 CPMA Lifetime Achievement Award. He will be honoured at the CPMA Fresh Week on Friday, April 16, at 1:00 pm EDT. Also, the 2021 Canadian Produce Marketing Association’s (CPMA) 95th Convention and Trade Show, Fresh Week, will be held virtually this week – see more below!
John is known for his strategic vision and outstanding leadership skills. He joined Oppy in 1975 when the company was a single office produce sales operation, earning just a few million dollars in annual revenue. He has since then become a leading grower, marketer, and distributor of fresh produce, generating a billion dollars in sales each year.
Recognized as an industry leader, he has held various director-level positions with the produce industry in both Canada and the United States. His contributions to the produce industry have earned him several professional awards including The Packer’s Canadian Produce Man of the Year and The Packer’s U.S. Produce Marketer of the Year – making him the only person to win this prestigious publication’s awards in the United States and Canada. Under John’s leadership, Oppy has received several recognitions including being named as one of BC’s Top Employers, Canada’s Top 100 Employers, Canada’s Best Managed Companies, and companies with Canada’s Most Admired Corporate Cultures.
“John Anderson has been a pillar of the Canadian industry supporting regional, national, and international associations to better the marketplace for all,” says Ron Lemaire, CPMA President. “Throughout his career, John has recruited many people to join the industry, including myself,” Lemaire added. “Over the years he has been an advocate, a mentor, and a friend of CPMA, and I can think of no one more deserving of the 2021 lifetime achievement award than John. His legacy has been felt by many working today and it will continue to influence generations to come.”
CPMA members can learn more about the history of the CPMA Lifetime Achievement Award, including a complete list of previous winners, in the Produce + membership directory on community.cpma.ca.
Fresh Week officially kicks off today at 1:00 pm EDT with a live keynote address from Laurent- Duvernay-Tardif, a medical doctor and Super Bowl champion who plays for the Kansas City Chiefs. Fresh Week’s program will feature sessions designed to provide industry members with networking, business development, and educational opportunities including:
• CEO Spotlight Fireside Chats –Three Canada’s top CEOs, Paul Wood, President and CEO of Giant Tiger Stores Limited, Randy White, President of Sysco Canada, and Darrell Jones, President of Save-On-Foods will share their insights on leadership in the fruit and vegetable sector and participate in leadership roundtable discussions with other industry leaders and experts.
• Town Hall Discussions –Experts will explore current hot topics impacting the industry including the future of foodservice and increasing online sales.
• Expo Hub – Fresh Week’s Expo Hub is hosting over 170 exhibitors from Canada and international.
• Learning Lounges –Each day will feature concurrent education sessions that will be presented in pre-recorded format. Speakers will be available to answer questions via live chat.
• Keynote address on Consumer Insights – Industry members will be invited to participate in a three-part poll on the impact of the pandemic on consumer behaviour. The results will be presented on Friday, April 16 by Abacus CEO, David Coletto, who will also offer insights on their relevance to the produce industry.
While the show is already live, registration will remain open throughout the week for industry members who haven’t registered to do so at any time. To learn more about Fresh Week and register for free, visit https://convention.cpma.ca/home.
Print this page