Supplier news – August
By Food in Canada staffBusiness Operations ADM National Starch
• This summer Elopak announced that it has become a member of the Carbon Disclosure Project’s (CDP) supply chain program, which tracks carbon emissions performance worldwide. Elopak is the first packaging company to become a member. The CDP is an independent, not-for-profit organization holding the world’s largest database of primary corporate climate change information.
• Newly Weds Foods, Inc. has purchased Witwood Food Products Ltd., a U.K.-based food ingredients manufacturer and coating specialist, for an undisclosed sum.
• Corn Products International Inc. has announced it has acquired National Starch Food Innovation for $1.3 billion.
• Health Canada has ruled that Archer Daniels Midland Company (ADM)’s CardioAid plant sterols can now be used in food and beverage products for sale in Canada, up to approved levels. Health Canada has confirmed that plant sterols can be added to mayonnaise, margarine, calorie-reduced margarine, yogurt and yogurt drinks, vegetable and fruit juices, salad dressing and unstandardized salad dressings and spreads.
• German chemical company BASF has acquired Cognis for $3.96 billion. Cognis, also headquartered in Germany, supplies specialty chemicals and nutritional ingredients.
• Emerald Performance Materials’ Foam Control Division has become the first antifoam/defoamer chemical manufacturing company to achieve HACCP accreditation from the American Institute of Baking. The company is a leading manufacturer of silicone and non-silicone defoamer chemistries for the food industry.
• Spiroflow Systems has announced it is purchasing Dynamet, a manufacturer of powder handling equipment.
• Quadra has acquired Terrebonne, Que.-based René Rivet Inc. Quadra, which is based in Vaudreuil-Dorion, Que., has been in business since 1976 and is a specialized distributor of food ingredients, such as phosphates, inulin natural fibre, dairy concentrates and natural hydrocolloids. René Rivet is known for its expertise in the distribution and usage of milk ingredients, yeast, extracts, fruits, colours, flavours, potato starches, and functional and health ingredients. Both are family owned businesses.
• Ecolab Inc. has entered into a marketing agreement with DuPont to commercialize new antimicrobial coating technologies for the food and beverage industry. According to Ecolab, the initiative will reduce the risk of environmental contamination by enhancing food facility hygiene. Limited-scale trials are currently underway in Europe and North America.
• Petro-Canada Lubricants has again won an International Stevie Award for Best New Product or Service of the Year in the manufacturing category of the 2010 International Business Awards. The award recognizes innovations in the company’s PURITY FG food lubricant line.
• Oxford Nutriscience has signed a European exclusivity supply agreement with Dartmouth, N.S.-based Ocean Nutrition Canada Ltd. The five-year agreement will see Ocean Nutrition’s Meg-3 brand omega-3 ingredient used exclusively in Oxford Nutrascience’s confectionery chews in the E.U.
• Artiste Flavor Essence has announced a new strategic alliance with Bestino Natural Oils Sdn Bhd, based in Malaysia.
Print this page