SIAL Canada 2012 showcases winners
By Food in Canada staffBusiness Operations Food Trends Research & Development
The SIAL trade show and conference took place in Montreal in May and held competitions for producers of innovative food products, coffee and olive oil
Montreal – The Canadian edition of the Salon International de l’Alimentation or SIAL as it’s more commonly known took place at the Palais des Congrès from May 9-11.
The show hosts more than 700 exhibitors and draws 13,000 visitors from 60 countries over the course of three days each year.
In addition to its free conference program, the show has several competitions for food processors.
One of which is the Trends & Innovations competition. On May 9, during the Canadian
Agri-food Export Gala, the 10 winning products were declared, including:
• Maple Pearls (Citadelle – Canada), which won the Grand Prize. Maple Pearls are jelly pearls containing pure maple syrup.
• Balsamic Vinegar and Olive Oil products in a spray bottle (Maison Orphée – Canada). The flavoured extra virgin olive oil in spray bottles are great for basting or marinating.
• Gourmet caramel spread in several varieties (Vergers Duhaime – Canada). These caramel spreads come in flavours like Butter & Rum, and Maple & Sea Salt.
• Maple sap water (de l’Aubier – Canada). This natural still water is stemmed from maple sap that is separated from its sugars to keep only the water.
• Greek-style probiotic yogurt (Skotidakis Goat Farm – Canada). This fat-free Greek probiotic yogurt offers a good source of protein.
• Le Complait without lactose– milk beverage (Nutrinor – Canada). This enriched dairy product with probiotics and prebiotics is suitable for people who are lactose-intolerant.
• Basilur Winter Book (Basilur Tea – Sri Lanka, represented by Global Business Network – Canada). This tea comes in a book-shape package.
• Effet Bleu frozen treat (Opti Bleu inc. – Canada) is a blueberry juice ice bar that contains 90 per cent blueberry juice and is rich in antioxidants.
•Anti + (Novidev Santé Activ – Canada) is a fruit drink with bioactive compounds intact and has no additives or preservatives.
• Ninette Ice Cream varieties (Ninette Ice Cream – Canada). This ice cream comes in flavours such as Thyme & Lemon, Raspberry Truffle, and Crunchy Gingerbread.
There was also the Coffee Cup competition, a contest designed to seek out the best coffee in the world. On May 7, a jury went through 13 submissions from countries ranging from Brazil to Bolivia and Canada to Honduras.
The winners are:
• Certified category: Golden Bean: Kaloko, Mountain Thunder Coffee from Hawaii
• Regular category: Golden Bean: Panama Finca Hartmann, Mocassin Jo Coffee Roasters from Panama
SIAL Canada also held the Olive D’Or competition, which awards the nine best extra virgin olive oil submitted by producers from around the world. There were more than 100 submissions from 15 different countries. The oils were divided into three categories, light, medium and intense. The winners in each category gain the titles of Golden Drop, Silver Drop and Bronze Drop.
The winners included:
Ottobratico, Olearia San Giorgio from Italy
Olave Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Valle Grande S.A from Chile
San Pietro, San Pietro Foods from Chile
Sand Pietro Foods Chile
Olio Extra Vergine Oliva Titone, D.O.P. Vallie Trapanesi Biologico, Azienda Agricola Biologica Titone from Italy
Sofra, Sarra Huiles from Tunisia
Rinón de la Subbética Alamoda, Almazaras de la Subbética from Spain
Melgarejo Gourmet, Aceites Campolive, S.L., from Spain
Extra Virgin Olive Oil Tradizionale, Planeta from Italy
Print this page