This year’s IFT is over, and Food in Canada has a roundup of some of the great stuff you missed
New Orleans, La. – The Institute of Food Technologists (IFT) Annual Meeting + Food Expo took place in New Orleans, La. from June 11 to 14. Food in Canada was at the show, which included more than 100 education sessions and a huge array of exhibitors.
If you missed it, here’s a roundup of just a few of the products we saw. (You can also click on part 1 and part 2 of our coverage.) And in case you were wondering, next year’s IFT takes place in Las Vegas, Nev. from June 25 to 28.
• Agropur highlighted its dairy ingredients.
These include its Whey Protein Concentrate (WPC), Iso Chill 8000 and 8010, a white to light cream-colour product with a bland, clean flavour. Typical applications for WPC Powder are for dairy products, dry blends, wet blends, prepared dry mixes, soft drinks/special dietary foods, infant foods, bakery products, and frozen desserts. The Iso Chill is available in instant (8010) and non-instant (8000).
The company also showcased its Iso Chill 9000 and 9010 whey protein isolate powder, a white to cream-colour product with a bland and clean flavour. It offers protein, contains little to no fat, lactose or cholesterol. It’s available in instant (9010) and non-instant (9000).
Also on display were whey powders, Crino Whey Powder and Crino Lactose Enriched Whey Powder; whey phospholipids Iso Chill 6000; and skim milk powder, Crino SMP and Crino SMP Preparation.
• EnWave highlighted its patented Radient Energy Vacuum (REV) dehydration technologies, which the company says is faster and cheaper than freeze drying.
EnWave’s nutraREV technology uses a combination of vacuum and microwaves to dehydrate fruits and vegetables, low-fat snacks, herbs, meats and seafood at or below 37˚C.
nutraREV technology is designed to be less expensive to purchase than a commercial-scale freeze dryer. It also uses less energy to operate and it can dehydrate food in minutes or hours rather than days.
The company also showcased its powderREV platform, which dehydrates continuous streams of bulk frozen biomaterials such as probiotics, enzymes and food cultures using microwave energy in a low-pressure vacuum environment.
Food Chemicals Codex, Seventh Edition
• The Food Chemicals Codex is a compendium of internationally recognized monograph standards and tests for the purity and quality of food ingredients. It’s a resource for authenticating and determining the quality of a wide variety of foods, food chemicals, ingredients and processing aids.
It’s ideal for food and beverage manufacturing, food chemicals and ingredient supply chains, quality control, and regulatory affairs.
It features more than 150 tests and assays with step-by-step guidance. It includes 1,100 monographs referencing chemical formula and structure, chemical weight, CAS numbers, function, definition, packaging and storage and labelling requirement, INA and FEMA numbers, IR spectra and test procedures.
• Fortitech highlighted its solutions for immunity, heart health, energy and weight loss with its nutrient premixes and product samples.
The company says it can source more than 1,400 ingredients from a selection of vitamins, minerals, amino acids, nucleotides and nutraceuticals, allowing manufacturers to target the specific needs and demands of any consumer demographic with Strategic Nutrition.
Some of the samples at the show included:
* A heart healthy antioxidant fortified salsa that includes vitamins A, C and E, as well as CoQ10, Lycopene and Selenium.
* An energy enhancing gum that was fortified with Taurine, Guarana and B-vitamins.
* A clear protein drink with electrolytes for sports nutrition.
* Two varieties of an all-in-one stick pack: A blood orange flavoured weight loss formula containing Chromium and L-carnitine and another addressing overall wellness, which contained nutrients such as vitamins A, D3, E, B-vitamins and folic acid. The company says when these are added to bottled water, the stick packs create flavoured, on-the-go, health-promoting beverages.
International Fiber Corporation
• International Fiber highlighted its JustFiber Sugar Cane Fiber, a pure food fiber derived from sugar cane.
The company says JustFiber is ideal for applications in many types of food products, including fragile foods.
The product can improve structure and reduce breakage in baked products, including pretzels, wafers, baked and fried tortilla chips, and ice cream cones. It’s a non-caloric bulking agent and 99 per cent total dietary fiber contributes zero calories and is an excellent ingredient for fiber enrichment. The product also improves mouthfeel.
• Jungbunzlauer showcased several of its products.
One of them included Sub4salt for sodium reduction. Sub4salt is a salt replacer made of sodium chloride, potassium chloride and sodium gluconate.
It’s designed to completely substitute salt in a formation in order to reduce the sodium content by up to 50 per cent without loss of taste. It has similar usage level to NaCl, it has no metallic off-flavour, it’s a salt substitute without artificial flavour enhancers and comes in different granulations for optimized applications.
The company also showcased its Erylite Stevia, which is erythritol with stevia and no additives. It offers a sugar-like sweetness, it’s all natural and it has zero calories. There was also Sodium Diacetate, which is a molecular compound of acetic acid and sodium acetate.
• Kalsec highlighted its natural antioxidant solutions.
Herbalox Seasoning and Duralox Blends help processors maintain stability in non-hydrogenated oils using natural ingredients. The products are formulated with standardized natural extracts and are available in a liquid system, making them easy to use.
Herbalox Seasoning, which is derived from a natural rosemary extract, is ideal for applications ranging from meats to oils to beverages.
Duralox Oxidation Management Systems include spice extractives (containing phenolic compounds), organic acids to chelate pro-oxidant metals, and antioxidant vitamins to quench free radicals and scavenge excess oxygen.
Using component synergism, Duralox Oxidation Management Systems provide maximum protection from oxidative deterioration. Duralox Oxidation Management Systems are designed for specific product and processing conditions and, in some cases, can outperform Herbalox Seasoning alone. Duralox Oxidation Management Systems are available in Oil Dispersible, Water Dispersible and Water Soluble forms.
A Must Read for all food & beverages industry personnel
Canada’s national food & beverage processing authority
Serving the Canadian food & beverage processing industry for over 80 years!
FREE to qualified industry professionals