Fairtrade Canada launches its first annual Canadian Fairtrade Awards recognizing retail and foodservice with a conscience
Toronto – Fairtrade Canada recognized seven Canadian retail and foodservice businesses for their commitment to fair trade. The event was the first-ever annual Canadian Fairtrade Awards in Toronto in September.
Fair trade means taking an ethical approach to doing business that supports farming communities, ethical labour practices and sustainable agriculture around the world.
An independent panel of judges assessed self-selected nominees on a variety of criteria, including range of products offered; promotion, education and engagement; and vision, mission and values.
This year’s winners are:
• Federated Co-operatives Limited for Grocery/Supermarket – Large national or regional chain;
• Choices Markets for Grocery/Supermarket – Small to medium independent;
• Van Houtte for Café/Restaurant/Foodservice Provider – Large national or regional chain;
• Kicking Horse Café for Café/Restaurant/Foodservice Provider – Small to medium independent;
• Camino (by La Siembra) for Co-operative;
• The Big Carrot for Natural/Health Food Store; and
• Manitoba Liquor Marts (MLCC) for Provincial Liquor Board.
Fairtrade Canada presented an additional award to Just Us! Coffee deemed Canada’s Favourite Fairtrade Certified Product by nearly 5,000 Canadians who voted during Fairtrade Fortnight, an annual two-week blitz that promotes all things fair trade. It takes place in May.
Retail and foodservice companies who are taking steps to support fair trade can also register their actions as part of the Take a Step campaign at www.fairtrade.ca/step.