Toronto – At the Canadian Agri-Food Export Gala on May 11 during the SIAL Canada tradeshow, BFG Canada Ltd. became the first company to win an Ontario Food Exporter Award.
The Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA) introduced the award earlier this year.
The award recognizes an outstanding Ontario exporter who has found success in new markets.
BFG Canada produces more than 50 varieties of crackers, including whole wheat, whole grain, cheese and multigrain, as well as a variety of organic, low-calorie and kosher products.
Over the past 20 years, the company has grown its international customer base and now exports products to retailers in North America, the U.K., Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Australia and South Africa.
All applicants must meet OMAFRA’s eligibility criteria. They also need to highlight their key exporting strengths, strategies and achievements.
Judging criteria the ministry look at are:
• Significant year-to-year percentage growth in value of export sales or increased export sales volume over the past year;
• Ability to overcome obstacles in entering new international markets/trade channels;
• The quality of the export plan in terms of creativity, innovation and strategy to promote brand awareness in the new market;
• Notable growth in overall business as a direct result of entering the new marketplace; and
• The impact of the company on the community and Ontario economy, such as job creation.